Sunday, October 28, 2012

Marty and The Hurricane: First Edition

As long as I have power, I'll continue with periodic updates.

I'm hijacking the news for my Hurricane Sandy coverage. So far, nothing is happening. The sky is all cloudy. According to the tiny trees on the roof of my building, there is a very slight breeze. No rain.

The buses and subways stop today at 7pm. Which is fine by me. I don't go out much, even when the weather is perfect.

I'm not concerned about the wind. I'm in a little cocoon of buildings. The buildings will take all the hits from flying debris. I'm only worried about stuff flying of the roof of the building across from me. Unless they forgot to take the chairs on the roof inside, I think I'm good. The trees up there are too small to do any damage.

I have some food. My mom seems to think I need to stock up on toilet paper. She is either mistaken about how much I poop, or how long hurricanes last. If I somehow run out of toilet paper during the hurricane, or its aftermath, toilet paper is going to be the least of my problems. I buy the mega rolls, which last me more than a month, and I have at least nine of them. My mom says that isn't enough.

I've charged my iPad, Nexus 7, phone and one of those USB charger things. I'm only worried about the power going out. The phone will still probably be useful if the power goes out, but my tablets will just become flashlights.

If anyone wants to text me, you're going to want to text my 435 number and not the 415 number. If you deleted my 435 number, that's your fault, I told you not to. I need an Internet connection to get texts on the 415 number. If the power goes out, I won't have WiFi and I'm turning the data connection off on my phone to conserve battery. Assuming cell service, doesn't go out, I can still be reached at the 435 number, although it may be slow. If you do try to reach me and I don't reply, just go ahead and assume I died and mourn appropriately.

I'd get into logistics on why I have two numbers and why, under normal circumstances, you should use the 415 number, but no one ever understands.

I'm mostly concerned about the power going out because I'm on the top floor. They call it the penthouse. From what I can tell, it just means I have to wait on the elevator longer than everyone else. Depending on how you count floors, it's could be floor 12-15. If the elevators don't work, I'm not walking down, or up, that many stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment