Friday, November 2, 2012

Marty and The News: Special Report

News.

*Updated* November 4, 2012

Arby's executive attacks 'Sandwich Artist'
Arby's attack on Subway prompts one manager to quit.

Dale Lawson had been the manager of the Arby's in Hays, Kansas for almost 6 years. He'd been working at the Arby's for over 13 years. Starting as a cashier during high school. That's all over now.

"I enjoyed my time at Arby's," says Lawson. "I really wanted to stay, but they've gone too far. There is a Subway right across the street from the Arby's here in Hays. I have friends that work there. Well, we used to be friends."

Lawson also says the two stores were always trading food. "I'd always go over to get sandwiches and cookies. In return, I'd give them some curly fries and Horsey Sauce." Whenever the two businesses threw parties for their employees, they'd always have the parties on the same day, and at the same location. Often times at a nearby park. "Eventually the two parties would merge into one," says Lawson. "It didn't matter if you worked at Subway or Arby's. We all worked on main street in Hays, Kansas. That's what brought us together."

No meat slicer here
The Arby's ads attacking Subway starting making the rounds in early October. The ads center around the fact that Subway doesn't slice their meat in store and that Arby's does.

After seeing one of the ads, Lawson contacted his regional manager, asking for the ads to stop. "I told him, I don't like this. I have friends that work at Subway. Before hanging up, I told him that I felt so strongly about this, that I'll leave if they don't stop. I made sure he knew I was serious. I didn't want these ads ruining my friendships."

Meat slicer equipped
Lawson was about to find out that it was too late.

On Thursday, two days after the ads began airing, Lawson went to Subway with a bag of fresh curly fries and Horsey Sauce. "That was the worst moment of my life," Lawson says. "I walked in there and none of them would even look at me. No one said a word to me. Rick, (the manager of Subway), came out eventually. He just looked at me. I could see the pain in his eyes. He was hurt. He had a hard time speaking, but he did manage to get these words out, 'why don't you go back over there and use your fancy meat slicer.' His words cut through me like a meat slicer through meat. I'll never forget those words."

Lawson started to leave the Subway, but stopped in the doorway to make one last plea. "I want all of you to know, I had nothing to do with this. I'm trying to get the ads taken down. It's not right what they are doing. I've threatened to quit over this."

"Rick just looked at me," says Lawson. "The pain was still evident in his eyes as he spoke, 'get out of my store Dale."

Lawson was done. He couldn't take it anymore. Arby's had gone too far. He called his regional manager back and put in his two weeks.

"I just don't understand why Arby's would do this. Arby's doesn't have cookies. Subway doesn't use that against them. I just don't like this at all. Subway has good sandwiches. Meat slicer or not. It's ruined my friendship with the workers at Subway. I haven't seen or spoken to Rick since he told me to leave his store. Occasionally I'll see one of the Subway employees in town. They still won't look at me. I'm not the only one at Arby's that is upset either. Two other employees left with me. A few more want to leave. They can't though because of financial reasons. Subway and Arby's employees in Hays, Kansas were best friends. The actions of Arby's has brought that to an end. It's not just in Hays, Kansas either. I'm sure this is the case in cities around the country. I just hope that one day, we can put all of this behind us."

Arby's has refused to comment. They've also refused to stop the ads. Despite the ruined friendships.

*Update*

Dale Lawson has contacted me. He has asked that an analogy he made be changed, or taken out of the article. While the analogy in question will remain in the article in it's original form, I have allowed Lawson to write a short statement explaining himself.
I sincerely apologize for the analogy I made about Rick's words 'cutting through me like a meat slicer through meat'. I sincerely meant nothing by the flippant analogy. I understand why many think it comes across as callous and uncaring. That is far from the truth. It was not a thinly veiled jab to Rick or Subway, as some have suggested. You have to understand, for over 13 years, my job at Arby's gave me daily access to a meat slicer. Many analogies I made during that time, involved a meat slicer in one way or another. I have many Horsey Sauce analogies as well, but I'm getting off topic.
I clearly wasn't thinking and made a poor choice of words when using the analogy. Nothing was meant by it. I want to apologize to Rick, Rick's employees, Subway, all Subway employees and all Subway lovers. I deeply regret my choice of words. Again, nothing was meant by them. I sincerely apologize to all of you. I can only ask that you forgive me.
With Deep Regret and Sorrow
Dale Lawson 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment